Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Auto insurance and ObamaCare: Not the same thing

In Illinois, I'm required to carry liability insurance for the two cars I own. I believe every state has a similar law. But two Obama cabinet members, Attorney General Eric Holder and Health and Human Service Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, are comparing the ObamaCare individual mandate that I must purchase health insurance to mandatory car insurance laws.

Ed Morrisey covers many of the same points in Hot Air. But here is my take. I don't have to own a car, or even rent one. Driving is voluntary. I can only drive on publicly managed roads. Liability insurance protects me, up to a certain financial level, from lawsuits if I hit a person, a car, or if I damage property while driving. To compare laws requiring automobile insurance to ObamaCare's individual mandate is absurd. Yes, Holder is the top lawyer in the land, but he is not a stranger to bad judgement. Afterall, he approved the Marc Rich pardon and performed legal work for Illinois on behalf of then-Governor Rod Blagojevich.

To live in the United States, according to the ObamaCare law, I have to buy health insurance. Holder and Sebelius concur.

This is not what Thomas Jefferson had in mind when he wrote about "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

kimsch said...

another comparison is auto insurance doesn't pay for gas and maintenance.