Saturday, November 13, 2010

Iowa I Opener: Guttenberg and its pool

Prior to my trip to Iowa in August, I had been to Guttenberg, Iowa twice--both times in the early 1970s. My late father was a professional fundraiser who worked primarily at hospitals. The construction of St. Mary of Nazareth on Chicago's Northwest Side and Woodstock Memorial, now Centegra, in McHenry County, are among the results of his labors.

As is the Guttenberg Pool in Clayton County. A college friend of my mother's who lived in the Mississippi River town mentioned that a swimming pool was needed there--but they didn't have the money to build it. My mom of course recommended my dad to remedy the situation. He drove there and met with the town leaders. They were impressed by his credentials but were put off by his appearance. Not his looks, mind you, he was as handsome as I am--but he wore a black pinstripe suit at that meeting--which were in style then, at least in Chicago. But the Hawkeyes thought they were dealing with Al Capone.


He still got the job, and the pool was built. I went with him to Guttenberg once--I had a blast--a trip to the country is always fun for a ten-year old boy. Once the pool was built, my dad brought the entire family to attend a festival celebrating the arrival of Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet reenactors; they were retracing the route of the French explorers' voyage on the Mississippi in honor of the tricentennial of their journey. And we swam in the pool.

My father is gone, but the pool and those hospitals are still here.

Guttenberg is named for Johannes Gutenberg, who invented the movable-type press. I don't know how the misspelling came about. Just as with Pikes Peak to the north, Guttenberg offers inspirational views of the Great River. There were a couple of vendors selling jellies and honey on the bluff where the picture was taken. For Mrs. Marathon Pundit I purchased some 4 Berry Jam from Jamin by the River.

Next: Field of Dreams

Earlier posts:


Related post:

Upper Peninsula Upventure: Father Marquette

No comments: