Friday, August 15, 2008

Obama's Obama Nation rebuttal throws "Ayers ball"

I haven't yet blogged about Jerome Corsi's best selling book, The Obama Nation, partly because I haven't read it--yet. I plan to pick up a copy today.

There are some errors within Corsi's text that I'm aware of, but the Barack Obama campaign today issued a forty page rebuttal of the book, and I find it hard to believe that there are that many incorrect items within The Obama Nation.

Jim Geraghty writes The Campaign Spot blog for the National Review, and he is the first writer, but no doubt the last, to rebut the rebuttal:

A lot of the items in the Obama campaign's response to Corsi are items I was noting in my review - sloppy work, asserting "Obama didn't say X in his book," when in fact he did. (For example, Corsi is right that Obama never comes out and calls his father a polygamist in his book, but somewhere around the reference to the fourth or fifth wife a reader will start doubting whether he actually divorced each one.)

And then there's this one:

LIE: "Besides, Obama had to know who Ayers is and what he stands for, especially with Ayers making this splash on 9/11." [p 147]

REALITY: AYERS COMMENTS WERE PUBLISHED ON SEPTEMBER 11; THE INTERVIEW OCCURRED PRIOR TO PUBLICATION

On September 11, 2001, A Story About William Ayers' Memoir Was Published In The New York Times; The Interview Occurred Prior To Publication. "'I don't regret setting bombs,' Bill Ayers said. 'I feel we didn't do enough.’ Mr. Ayers, who spent the 1970's as a fugitive in the Weather Underground, was sitting in the kitchen of his big turn-of-the-19th-century stone house in the Hyde Park district of Chicago." (My note: pictured above.) [New York Times, 9/11/01]

Geraghty goes on to explain that this one "completely misses the point." When I made my first Obama-Ayers post in February, lib trolls tried to reason with me that Obama was just 11 years old when Ayers bombed the Pentagon--how could he know?

At the time Obama didn't know. He was 11 then--so was I. But I knew all about Ayers--and his wife Bernardine Dorhn--by the time I was in high school. It's a safe bet Barry Obama in Hawaii did too. In fact he wrote about those troubled times in The Audacity of Hope:

In my teens, I became fascinated with the Dionysian, up for grabs quality of the era, and through books, films, and music, I soaked in a vision of the sixties very different from the one my mother talked about: images of Huey Newton, the '68 Democratic National Convention, the Saigon airlift, and the Stones at Altamont. If I had no immediate reasons to pursue revolution, I decided nevertheless that in style and attitude, I, too, could be a rebel, unconstrained by the wisdom of the over-thirty crowd.

Judge for yourself. Because if Obama was "fascinated" by the 1968 Democratic Convention, and Huey Newton, my guess is that he knew all about the Weather Underground terror group.

I'd like to add that Obama continued to serve on the board of directors of The Woods Fund with Ayers until 2002. Ayers remains to this day an unrepentant former terrorist.

Related post:

KEEPING THE STORY ALIVE: A COLLECTION OF POSTS ON BILL AYERS AND THE "WEATHER UNDERGROUND"

Technorati tags:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you complain about all the GOP bigwigs who also served on the Woods Foundation board, with both Obama and Ayers?

And while you may find it hard to believe that Corsi's book is a pack of lies the rest of us recognize that he is a known smear artist who bases his mud on fibs and innuendo and who chose to promote his new anti-Obama screed on a racist's white supremacy radio show.

But, you do seem to be running out of fresh ad hominem attacks so please do pick up a copy of the book and put more money in Corsi's pocket.

Marathon Pundit said...

Republicans? Slow down there...names, names, I need names.

If that is true, which I doubt...then they were Chuck Hagel-Lincoln Chafee types.

As for why I'm bringing this up, well, in journalism, timing is important, and it was OBAMA'S ppl who brought up Ayers...not me.

I was at Wal-Mart today buying iPod headphones, but I forgot to walk through the books section. The irony of purchasing that book at Obama's least favorite store would've been great.

Anonymous said...

Here I thought conservatives were always saying that private funds should cover the costs of social services and the like...

And thank goodness for stand-up folks like Sens. Hagel and Chafee. Gives rational folks hope that the GOP can be "grand" once again and get back to actually solving problems and dealing with reality instead of promoting such mindless blather and nonsense.

Anonymous said...

That was me at 11:25 there...

Marathon Pundit said...

Didn't some of that Woods Fund money go to a housing dev't run by Obama's old boss, Allison Davis?

That's crony capitalism.

Anonymous said...

I've got 'Unfit for Command' which was torn apart by the dhimmi's in an attempt to make the authors out as liars. The problem was that everything in the book was proven true, not exactly what the dhimmi's wanted so a lot of them voted for GWB instead of Hanoi John (traitor) Kerry. By the way, Kerry lost.
I will buy this book if for no other reason, it will put money in Corsi's pocket and keep the book sky high in sales. I'll also bet that it contains a lot more truths than mistakes.

rob_n, There is some treatment (not a cure) for the type insanity you are ate up with. They are working hard to find an effective treatment for BDS but have had no luck. The greatest mind at the mental health facility in London have spent many hours in study and declared BDS a confirmed mental illness. Look on the bright side, you can continue your welfare check by applying for disability SS. They do award benefits based on most mental illnesses.
Firefighter 16

Anonymous said...

Firefighter 16,

Your friend Greybeard has already asked about my underpants and called me a pig. You shrieking that I'm somehow insane for pointing out rational questions about Mr. Ruberry's spin is par for the conservative partisans' ad hominem course on this blog.

Write back when you've got some actual policy solutions to talk about, instead of two-bit name-calling.

--

John,

Didn't some of the Georgian government's $200,000 go to McCain's top foreign policy advisor on the day Mac started speechifying about the crisis?

That's crony capitalism (on an international scale).

Greybeard said...

Firefighter 16...
If you indeed are a firefighter, thank you for bein' there for us when we need you.

And God Bless our troops for insuring we have the freedom to come here and discuss Rob_n's Obama underwear.

Anonymous said...

Grey,

You keep talking about my boxers while I'll keep pointing that doing so only illustrates the complete lack of rational policy solutions coming from conservatives...

Ain't 1A grand?