Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Kansas Kronkles: Little pueblo on the prairie


My choice for America's Loneliest Road, US Route 83 took me north to Lake Scott State Park near Scott City in the heart of western Kansas.

Lake Scott is man-made, it's a reservoir of Ladder Creek.

I came there to see the El Cuartelejo Pueblo, but it was the natural beauty--and yes, there is much of it in Kansas, that took me by surprise.

The pueblo site is more accurate description of the what is pictured on the right. The ruins of the only pueblo found in Kansas, and the northernmost of all known pueblos, have been reconstructed to appear as they did when they were discovered by a pioneer in 1899.

El Cuartelejo was believed to have been occupied various Indian tribes from the mid-16th century until roughly 1730.


Lake Scott State Park offers plenty to do: Fishing, horseback riding, boating, and hiking. But I didn't see plenty of people, which is not unusual in the Great Plains. Maybe that's the way Kansans want it: Keep this place a secret so it's not overrun with mobs of tourists.

Technorati tags:

No comments: