Sunday, August 12, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Western Holiday Motel in Wichita

After a day of driving through the Flint Hills of eastern Kansas, I headed southeast to the Sunflower State's largest city, Wichita.

I checked into the Western Holiday Motel on the city's west end, with the very familiar sign out front, Wichita's version of "Vegas Vic."

The city plays a key part in one of my favorite films, as I commented that evening from my room:

"I'm Treo blogging from Wichita, Kansas, from a motel eerily like the one John Candy and Steve Martin shared in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles."

Ironically, that famous part of that great movie was not filmed in Wichita, but in Illinois near Joliet.

I was staying by myself, so I didn't have the opportunity to scream, "Those aren't pillows!"

More good news: Unlike the John Candy and Steve Martin characters, I wasn't robbed either.

Western Kansas is next.

Technorati tags:

No comments: