Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Tiny cemetery near Council Grove


While driving through Kansas' Flint Hills, I encountered this tiny cemetery--just four graves--north of Council Grove in Morris County on state road 177.

The two gravestones in the foreground are scarcely bigger than a brick--the engravivings on them have worn away.

As for the taller markers, the one on the left, as far as I can tell, reads "HENRIETTA WILHELMINA, WIFE OF C. Wilke, Died Mar. 28, 1881." The rest of the wording has been eroded by the elements.

The one on the right reads, in German, LUDEWIG KAECKELL Gest. (Died) 30 Aug. 1878, Alter 14 Jahre (14 years old).

Related posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church

My Kansas Kronikles: An overview


My Kansas Kronikles: This has to stop

My Kansas Kronikles: The Sunflower State

My Kansas Kronikles: The Flint Hills

My Kansas Kronikles: Alan Clark's filling station in Eskridge

Technorati tags:

No comments: