Monday, August 13, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Kingman


....Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino...

Ah yes, Kingman. The ultimate driving song, Route 66, mentions Kingman. But not the Kingman I visited last month. Route 66 does pass through Kansas, but for only about thirty miles--on the state's far southeastern corner and very far from Kingman.

To me Kingman was the gateway to western Kansas, it was around this time I began to notice the fauna changing to that typical of the Great Plains.

On top is downtown Kingman. Many of the main streets, often called Main Street, of smaller Kansas towns have red-brick surfaces, Kingman is one of those villages.

On the right is the Kingman Carnegie Library, one of the many Carnegie libraries scattered throughout the world, most of them are in the United States. Unlike most Carnegie libraries, the one is Kingman incorporates the Carnegie name.

Once again, a friendly Kansan stopped me, and was quite pleased after I explained who I was, that I was taking pictures of his hometown. This gentleman somehow was under the impression I was cycling across that state.

Related post:

Three Rivers, Michigan and Andrew Carnegie

Technorati tags:

No comments: