Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: The Gypsum Hills


If the Flint Hills in eastern Kansas weren't proof enough for you that Kansas is not, topographically speaking, a flat state, I present to you the Gypsum Hills, sometimes called the Red Hills, in the south-central part of the state.

Just west of Medicine Lodge, on US Highway 160 until Coldwater, is the Gypsum Hills Scenic Byway, which I took as a southern detour on my way to Greensburg. The Gypsum Hills are well, red, and continuing in the red theme, many red cedars populate the area.

As I noted in my Kingman post from Monday, the climate in western Kansas is dry, and this yucca plant is evidence of that. Yuccas don't grow in many places in the Midwest.



Blog note: Some of my recently scanned pictures have not been properly captured by my scanner. I fixed the problem last night, and I'll re-scan some of my earlier Kansas pictures. Thanks for your patience.

Next: Greensburg, the Fall and Rise.

Related posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: An overview

My Kansas Kronikles: Chase County Courthouse
My Kansas Kronikles: Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church
My Kansas Kronikles: This has to stop
My Kansas Kronikles: The Sunflower State
My Kansas Kronikles: The Flint Hills
My Kansas Kronikles: Alan Clark's filling station in Eskridge
My Kansas Kronikles: A taste of home
My Kansas Kronikles: Kingman
My Kansas Kronikles: Western Holiday Motel in Wichita
My Kansas Kronikles: The Prairie Chicken Capital of the World

Thanks for the link: Minerals Gemstones Top 25

Technorati tags:

No comments: