Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part six

The last of a series, within a series.

Before the May 4 tornado hit, Greensburg's population was estimated to be around 1,500 persons. As I noted in an earlier post, the businesses are coming back to Greensburg--what about the people? Businesses are there to build new homes for the residents of the town.

But for now, home is this mobile home park, meant to be a temporary solution. Residents live there rent free for one year, but must pay utility costs. Which might be high, even though, as you can see in some of the photos, the sun was struggling to break out, temperatures were in the mid-90s that day.

But for the folks of Greensburg who want to own their own home, there are no shortage of choices.


And sadly, there is no shortage of space in town. Next is Dodge City, one of Kansas' three "Beef Kingdoms."



Earlier Greensburg posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part one

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part two

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part three

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part four

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part five

Related Kansas posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: An overview

My Kansas Kronikles: Chase County Courthouse
My Kansas Kronikles: Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church
My Kansas Kronikles: This has to stop
My Kansas Kronikles: The Sunflower State
My Kansas Kronikles: The Flint Hills
My Kansas Kronikles: Alan Clark's filling station in Eskridge
My Kansas Kronikles: A taste of home
My Kansas Kronikles: Kingman
My Kansas Kronikles: Western Holiday Motel in Wichita
My Kansas Kronikles: The Prairie Chicken Capital of the World

Thanks for the link: Pajamas Media

Technorati tags:

No comments: