Crundwell used the municipal funds to finance her championship quarter horse breeding business--while Dixon was understandably chronically short of cash.
Dixon, which I've visited a few times, is a wonderful town--I urge you to visit it. Oh, spend some money too. In addition to the Reagan sites--Dixon has a wonderful Bedford Falls feel to it. Just north of town is the John Deere historical site, which I'm ashamed to admit, I have not traveled to--yet.
However--Dixon is suffering from Illinois Corruption Disease. The first step in the cure is to admit that a problem exists. Two years ago, a Republican county board member condemned a proposed ban on nepotism, stating "The majority of nepotism is in Cook County and the collar counties. We're bringing up something we shouldn't be looking at. It hasn't occurred here."
|Rock River, Dixon|
At the Crundwell sentencing, Dixon's mayor, James Burke, read a statement that there is not a culture of corruption in Dixon.
But corruption is endemic in Illinois.
- Ronald Reagan Trail: Dixon
- Ronald Reagan Trail: Lowell Park and 78 lives saved
- Marathon Pundit's Ronald Reagan Trail
- Midwestern Presidential Pathway: Dixon, a shining city upon a hill
- Midwestern Presidential Pathway: Ronald Reagan's Dixon, Illinois
- Ike, the military truck convoy, the Lincoln Highway, and Dixon, Illinois
- The only statue of Lincoln in military dress is in Dixon, Illinois
- New Reagan statue in Dixon, Illinois
- On this day 155 years ago: Lincoln campaigns for Frémont in Dixon, IL
John Deere 12" w/p mining lacer Boots (Brown) - Men's Boots - 11.0 W (Google Affiliate Ad)