|New Pavilion in background--Reagan|
apartment is on the right
But the Med Center faced a less polite group of activists this afternoon, as the Chicago Tribune tells us.
Protesters who want a trauma center on the South Side of Chicago marched into the University of Chicago’s new $700 million medical center Sunday afternoon unannounced.Here's some tasty irony: White House senior advisor Valerie Jarrett is the former chair of the Board of Trustees at the University of Chicago Medical Center, Michelle Obama was once the community affairs director for the Med Center. They hired David Axelrod's firm ASK Strategies to steer patients away from the Med Center to other South Side Chicago health facilities, dubbed the Urban Health Initiative.
Four people were arrested, including a 17-year-old student at King College Prep High School.
Dozens of people sat in the brand new facility’s lobby, 5758 S. Maryland Ave., awaiting a tour when the 50 or so protestors came in, shouting and holding signs.
Southside Together Organizing for Power, the group behind the protest, had five members who volunteered to stay behind, and likely be arrested, when most of the group would inevitably be kicked off the private property.
The U of C has not operated an adult trauma center since the 1980s.
The Chicago Reagan apartment is at 832 E. 57th Street.
|832 E. 57th Street|
- Update on saving the Chicago Reagan home
- Save the Chicago Reagan apartment from destruction
- More good news on the endangered Chicago Reagan apartment
- Friends of President Reagan's Chicago home incorporates
- (Photos) Endangered Chicago Reagan apartment amid rubble
- Ronald Reagan Trail: Chicago and the likely demolition of the Reagan apartment
- Save the Chicago Reagan Apartment Facebook page launches
- Marathon Pundit's Ronald Reagan Trail
Reagan by Reagan, Ronald [DVD-Video] (Google Affiliate Ad)