Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Governor's Day at the Illinois State Fair--Two lists to consider

Today is Governors Day at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield. Here are couple of top ten lists for your review. The first comes from DuPage County State's Attorney Joe Birkett, who is exploring running for statewide office in 2010.

Ten questions for Governor Blagojevich on gas prices.

1. When you were a candidate for governor in 2001 and 2002, you twice blasted the Republican Governor and Attorney General for "allowing" gas prices to rise to $1.99-a-gallon. Now that gas is double that price, what's your excuse? (Source: Rick Pearson, Ray Long, "Blagojevich Steps on the Gas; Governor Hopeful Chides GOP Foes on Prices at Pump," Chicago Tribune, June 19, 2001).

2. You claim to be a history buff. Has Illinois ever had a governor who presided over a doubling of gas prices?

3. What, specifically, have you done to try to reduce the price of gas in Illinois the last six years?

4. If your answer is that it’s President George W. Bush’s fault, how do you explain that in 2001 and 2002 you said the state was responsible for high gas prices?

5. If you insist it’s President Bush’s fault, will you now admit that your earlier attacks on Republican officials were an insincere pander to voters.

6. Could it be that high gas prices explain your habit of working from home instead of traveling to your job like millions of Illinoisans?

7. When you were in Congress, why did you vote against Gulf of Mexico drilling? Gulf of Mexico Drilling June 21, 2001, House Amendment 107 to H.R. 2217 (Roll Call # 181)

8. When you were in Congress, why did you vote against drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge? Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, August 1, 2001, House Amendment 298 to H.R. 4 (Roll Call # 317)

9. When you were in Congress, why did you vote against dozens of reforms designed to increase the supply of domestic oil? Securing America's Future Energy Act August 2, 2001, H.R. 4, Final Passage (Roll Call # 320)

10. Do you now regret that your anti-drilling votes helped Congress block new American sources of oil that could have been online by now and would have helped mitigate your disastrous record of keeping gas prices low as governor?

"Rod Blagojevich deceived Illinoisans when he said he could lower gas prices," Joe Birkett said. "He needs to be held accountable for his blatant demagoguery. When he had a chance in Congress to solve our supply problem, he voted against drilling for American oil and in favor of more foreign dependency."

I'd like to add that Blagojevich, prior to running for governor, was an Illinois state legislator and then a congressman. In Washington, the Chicago Democrat had few accomplishments, then he went on to run for governor even though he had no executive experience. Sound familiar? Illinois is a complete mess right now, even Blagovejich probably agrees with that.

And I'd like to add there are oil deposits in southeastern Illinois. The rig in the picture is in Effingham. Not a whole lot of oil can be found in the there, but every little bit counts. What is "Blago" doing to make sure we extract every drop of Illinois oil?

The second list, according to the press release is supposed to be humorous, but for all I know, the quotes are, or could be, accurate.

Top 10 excuses Democratic leaders will use when Rod tries to get his picture with them on Governor's Day

10. Governor Bill Richardson: "I don't think your hair and my beard can fit into the same shot."

9. U.S. Senator & Presidential Candidate Barack Obama: "Governor, unless you're a Hollywood celebrity, a major campaign donor, or a reporter from People Magazine, I really don't have time for a picture with you."

8. Attorney General Lisa Madigan: "I'm sorry, Governor, but as I am sure you are aware there are numerous "legal" obligations that keep us from being photographed together."

7. State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias: "Governor, I have nothing to fear but the truth -- which is that someone will use this photo in a negative ad against me!"

6. Lt. Governor Pat Quinn: "Governor, as you know, I am a reformer. While it's true I stood by you for 5 years, benefiting from your tainted campaign fund, calling you an honest person, and not speaking out on many of your ethical problems, you are currently at 13% approval ratings and having a photo taken with you now could severely damage my reputation as a reformer. Therefore, I can no longer have my picture made with you. Sorry."

5. Former deputy governor and Congressional candidate Jill Morgenthaler: "Governor, it was an honor to serve in your administration for so many months, but if people found out that I knew you it could be all bad for me out in the 6th Congressional District... You don't think anyone will find out do you?"

4. U.S. Senator Dick Durbin: "Governor, getting our picture taken would really undermine my campaign to avoid associating myself when any of the problems in Springfield. Plus, I'm so busy shirking any real work in Washington, I don't want people to think I'm taking it easy on Governor's Day."

3. Senate President Emil Jones: "Governor, I think our work together has got to come to an end. The people of Illinois can't take much more of this... Nah, I'm just kidding you Governor, get the heck over here and give me a hug."

2. Congressional Candidate Dan Seals: "Governor, I will get my picture taken with you if you promise not to kid me about not having a job. Why couldn't you hook me up like Duckworth and Morgenthaler? If this keeps up, I’m going to have to pay myself out of my campaign again."

1. House Speaker Mike Madigan: #*%@ %#$

The big story in all of this is that Blagojevich is in Springfield. He's the first Illinois governor not to reside in the governor's mansion since Springfield became the capital in 1837.

And if anyone is looking for Blagojevich this afternoon--such as federal marshalls with indictment papers--they'll know where to find him--at the Illinois State Fair.

Technorati tags:

No comments: