Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Marathon Pundit receives media credentials to Republican Nat'l Convention

Well, look who is a lucky man? Me. Yesterday I received notification that my application for media credentials to the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul has been approved.

Have laptop, will travel up Interstate 94 from behind enemy lines, Illinois, to the Xcel Energy Center.

I'll be the second Ruberry to report on a national political convention. My late father covered the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago for a community paper based on Chicago's Southwest Side. He was at the International Ampitheatre covering the proceedings, the "good stuff," cops beating up hippies, took place a few miles north in front of the Conrad Hilton Hotel.

I was five at the time, watching on television.

The Twin Cities are great, except for driving through on my way to North Dakota four years ago, I haven't been there since 1994, when I ran the marathon there.

7 comments:

Omnibabe said...

Way to go, John! That's incredible.

Unknown said...

John -- CONGRATULATIONS!!

Look for email...

Andrea

the wolf said...

Yeah, kick a few hippies for me.

THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

Great job, John. You're now the "go to" guy.

Anonymous said...

"...a community paper based on Chicago's Southwest Side.."

What was the paper?

Anonymous said...

Terrific news, John, and may I also say well deserved.

Marathon Pundit said...

Thanks for your compliments, everyone!

"...a community paper based on Chicago's Southwest Side.."

Back of the Yards Journal, I believe.