Friday, September 28, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Barbed wire and stone posts


Diane from Respublica has family living in Emporia, Kansas and last month she was wondering when I'd touch on the use Flint Hills stone for fences.

Well, I promised I'd get to that, and here is my post. Only I'm not sure if the stone picture here in Barton County, Kansas originated from the Flint Hills in the east.

One thing I learned during my Kansas trip, not only are there many types of barbed wire, a lot of people collect it. The No Man's Man Museum just south of Kansas on the Oklahoma panhandle has a collection, and many more private hordes of barbed wire exist.

With few trees and few people to build walls and fences, barbed wire naturally became the demarcation of choice on the Great Plains, and it's relative cheapness made it popular everywhere.

But Kansas is blessed with limestone, and in some spots, such as US Route 281 near Great Bend, you can find barbed wire fences not with metal or wooden posts, but stone pillars hold the wire together.

Next: Wetlands and Wildlife Scenic Byway

Technorati tags:

No comments: