Saturday, August 18, 2007

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part four

Most of the rubble from Greensburg had been removed when I arrived there from the Gypsum Hills last month. Up on the left, all of the house are gone on this street, only a what's left a downtown building can be seen. The trees, as you can see, also suffered great damage from the May 4 tornado.

The otherwise immaculate buildings, with only the foundations and parts of the brick walls surviving, are from downtown Greensburg. The grain tower, seemingly the town's sentintel, is in the background, along with the Cenex gas station I blogged about in my last Greensburg post.
Yes, there still are some destroyed homes that need to be cleared away. The home below, now rubble, once heard laughter, crying, singing, and humming. Now all it hears are the western Kansas winds.



Not even the street signs survived the tornado, but there still is a Wisconsin Street in Greensburg.

In my last post, I blogged about the three banks in new buildings in Greensburg. The foundation and these two safes are all that's left of one of the those bank's original structure. Oh yes, I looked. The safes were empty.



Earlier Greensburg posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part one

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part two

My Kansas Kronikles: Greensburg, the fall and rise, part three

Related Kansas posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: An overview

My Kansas Kronikles: Chase County Courthouse
My Kansas Kronikles: Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church
My Kansas Kronikles: This has to stop
My Kansas Kronikles: The Sunflower State
My Kansas Kronikles: The Flint Hills
My Kansas Kronikles: Alan Clark's filling station in Eskridge
My Kansas Kronikles: A taste of home
My Kansas Kronikles: Kingman
My Kansas Kronikles: Western Holiday Motel in Wichita
My Kansas Kronikles: The Prairie Chicken Capital of the World


Technorati tags:

No comments: