Sunday, October 22, 2006

My 2006 Chicago Marathon: 3 hours 41 minutes; men's winner hurt in fall


I was hoping to run at 3 hour and 30 minute race in this morning's Chicago Marathon, but I felt a bit short of that, finishing the 26 mile race at 3:41:30. Since I didn't adequately train for this race, I should be happy with my effort, and I am.

The weather conditions fell a bit short of perfect. 50 degrees Fahrenheit is considered ideal, the race temperature was in the low 40s. Also, it was pretty windy, gusts were up to 20 miles per hours and the last three miles of the race were against the wind. The wind chill was 30 degrees.

The picture above is just a small portion of the mass of humanity that participated in the race.

There were about 40,000 runners who started the race. I was the 6,583rd to cross the finish line.

The winner of the men's division was Robert Cheruyiot, who fell and hit his head at the finish, his time was 2:07:35. Cheruyiot is being treated at a Chicago hospital and is being treated for bleeding on the brain.

Ethiopia's Berhane Adere won the women's division, with a 2:20:42.

Technorati tags:

No comments: