Sunday, January 09, 2011

Iowa I Opener: Conclusion

I've finished another travel series--it's time for Iowa I Opener to move to the blogroll corner. By now, it was my firm belief that my later posts in this series would appear alongside news of the opening up of campaign offices in the Hawkeye State. Even before the 2006 midterm elections, Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) formed an exploratory committee for the 2008 presidential campaign.

Okay, I was wrong, just as I was when I predicted Judy Baar Topinka would defeat Rod Blagojevich in his reelection attempt. Although I was able to take some consolation in seeing Blago fall short of a majority of the vote.

Marquette, Clayton County
Still...I'm not sure when, but you'll be hearing a lot about Iowa soon enough. The Iowa Caucuses are 51 weeks away. The Iowa Republican Straw Poll  in Ames will take place in August.

Although Iowa's population is dominated by Protestant and Catholic whites, in Fairfield you will find followers of the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, in Postville there is a heavy Hispanic and Somali presence. Colorado has Pikes Peak, but so does Iowa.

America's most famous painting, American Gothic, was painted in Iowa by Grant Wood, who was Iowa-born. He died there, too.

Iowa isn't only about cornfields.

One place I would have included in this blog-o-vacation was the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum in West Branch. The site also includes the 31st president's birthplace. But I visited there the year before, which you can read about here and here.

Yes, I traveled to Iowa, but I also learned about Denmark during my trip.

Iowa may be the quintessential Midwestern state, but two men who helped create the legend of the American West, John Wayne and Buffalo Bill Cody, were born there. And much of Wyatt Earp's childhood was spent in Iowa.

To many people, Iowa is just a bathroom stop on Interstate 80. As you've learned during Iowa I Opener, it isn't. No state is. Get of the car and look around.

Earlier posts:

Maharishi Vedic City and the Global Country of World Peace
Maharishi University of Management and Yogic Flyers fighting terrorism
Fairfield and Obama
Pella
Wyatt Earp
Postville and Agriprocessors
Elk Horn and its Danish windmill
Danish Immigrant Museum
Omaha's Mormon Trail Center
Loess Hills
Jesse James' first train robbery
A Madison County bridge and some Cold Turkey
John Wayne's birthplace
Grinnell's Louis Sullivan Jewel Box
A final look at the Amana Colonies
Amana Refrigeration
Amana cemeteries
Amana Millrace and the woolen mill
Amana Colonies overview
Anamosa State Penitentiary Cemetery
More about Stone City and Grant Wood
Stone City and Grant Wood
Where North Avenue ends
Field of Dreams
Guttenberg and its pool
A final look at Effigy Mounds National Monument
More Effigy Mounds
Effigy Mounds National Monument
Freedom Rock and Veterans Day
Pikes Peak
Buffalo Bill



Technorati tags:

No comments: