Friday, November 12, 2010

Iowa I Opener: A final look at Effigy Mounds National Monument

The morning I spent at Iowa's Effigy Mounds National Monument was foggy, so it's easy to understand why I imagined myself on Yoda's planet in The Empire Strikes Back.  Just look at the photographs. As I wrote a couple of posts back, the Yellow River flows into the Mississippi at the monument and down from the bluffs--and the mounds--are wetlands. The area is teeming with life.

North and west of Effigy Mounds lies the Yellow River State Forest.

By all accounts the entire length of the Yellow River is scenic. Up on top, past the railroad bridge, is the mouth of the Yellow. On the upper right is a green Yellow River.
Effigy Mounds is a hidden American treasure.

Next: Guttenberg

Earlier posts:

More Effigy Mounds
Effigy Mounds National Monument
Freedom Rock and Veterans Day
Pikes Peak
Buffalo Bill

Related posts:

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: The Natchez Trace Part Two, Indian Mounds
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: The Father of Waters
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Mississippi River at Vicksburg
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers
Four Corners Furtherance: Colorado River and I-70

Technorati tags:

No comments: