Saturday, November 28, 2015

Authentic pioneer log cabin on a golf course

On Tuesday I braved the "No Trespassing" sign off of Golf Road in the town of Golf to photograph a vintage log cabin at the 17th hole at the Glen View Club. It was built by John Dewes, who was one of the first European settlers in Niles Township, Illinois.

Those portholes you see are supposedly so the Dewes family could defend themselves with rifles if there was an Indian attack.


Related post:

(Photos) Dewes family pioneer cemetery in Golf, Illinois

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Is this cabin still standing? I live near there, and am a history buff. I searched on Google earth but did not see it. I am in the surrounding forest preserves all the time. It’s a shame that something like this is not available for the public to see….as it’s our tax dollars paying for these golf courses.

I like your blog. Have you researched any of the other pioneer and cemeteries in the region?

Marathon Pundit said...

Hi Mary Anne! As far as I know the cabin is still there. Likely it was trespassing at the Glen View Golf Club when I snapped this pic on the golf course. You'll find it on the long driveway to the clubhouse. Winter is a better time to see it, as there won't be golfers and grounds crew there. I've looked at some of the other cemeteries in the area. Northfield Union Cemetery is a good one. And Dewes is a great one, fenced off for protection from vandals, near this cabin. Again, feel free to reach out to me at john "dot" ruberry "at" sbcglobal.net if you have more questions.