His high-pitched raspy voice was his trademark--Devine usually served as a comic foil even in dramatic films.
And he was a true westerner. Devine was born in Flagstaff, Arizona Territory in 1905, but he grew up west of there in Kingman. Main Street in that town, which was part of US Route 66, was renamed Andy Devine Avenue in his honor.
Accounts vary on why Devine's voice was so distinct--but they center on a childhood accident.
- Seligman, Arizona and Route 66
- (Photo) US Route 93 in Arizona and the freedom to drive everywhere
- Monument Valley at sunset
- Monument Valley at sunrise
- The road to Monument Valley
- Route 66 in Dwight, Illinois
- The end...or beginning...of Route 66 in Chicago
Technorati tags: history Americana illinoistravel travel bloghistory byways route 66 photos photography america
John Wayne Classic Westerns Collection: Volume One 5-Disc Dvd Set (Google Affiliate Ad)