Friday, May 16, 2008

Highway 61 Revisited

Treo blogging from West Memphis, Arkansas.

Actually the title of this most may be inaccuate, until I made it to Natchez two days ago, I don't believe I've ever travelled on US Route 61.

In 1989 a girlfriend and I visited the Twin Cities--she was from there and did all the driving-- and we spent a day in White Bear Lake, Minnesota--and Highway 61 runs through the St. Paul suburb. Bob Dylan of course recorded an album titled "Highway 61 Revisited," and the Minnesotan probably saw special meaning that the northen terminus of what is now calles "The Blues Highway" in upper Mississippi is in Duluth, where Dylan was born.

Today's travels reminded me of last year's "My Kansas Kronikles" trip--I encountered a lot of neat spots overlooked by less discerning eyes. I spent more time in two "blues cities," Leland and Clarksdale. And I found a Theodore Roosevelt connection to Mississippi's Delta.

More on all that when I get my photographs developed (or downloaded).

Highway 61 is not the prettiest road I've driven on, but it's probably the most magical, warts and all.

Tomorrow: Johnny Cash's hometown of Dyess, Arkansas, and then Cairo and Jonesboro in Illinois. Then home in Morton Grove.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If im in the situation of the owner of this blog. I dont know how to post this kind of topic. he has a nice idea.