Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Chicago chef busted for serving foie gras

When he's not (scroll down a couple of posts) part of the Democrats jihad against Wal-Mart, Chicago Alderman Joe Moore is ridding the city of the menace of foie gras, a duck liver delicacy opposed by many animal-rights activists on the grounds of animal cruelty.

From the Chicago Sun-Times:
A daily special at a Lincoln Square restaurant has triggered the first -- and only -- official complaint stemming from Chicago's controversial ban on foie gras.

A caller to the city's 311 non-emergency system complained that foie gras was being served over the weekend at Block 44, 4365 N. Lincoln. The restaurant is not refuting the claim.

Rick Spiros, the chef at Block 44, acknowledged that he served "about eight orders" of foie gras on Friday night even though he knew the liver delicacy is illegal in Chicago. It wasn't an act of defiance, so much as a desperate effort to avoid wasting expensive food, he said.

"I had a couple pieces left over, and I just got rid of it. I just did it. I'm a bad chef, I guess. People loved it. People bought it. One person complained? I'll take the slap on the wrist. I'm not in fourth grade. I had the decision to make, and I served it. Whatever the repercussions are, I'll deal with it," Spiros said.

Mayor Daley, who also opposes the Wal-Mart ordinance, didn't veto the foie gras ban, but said there are more important things Chicago's City Council should be looking into than a gourmet item that until recently was served in about a dozen Chicago restaurants.

Related post: Mayor Daley says phooey on Chicago foie gras ban

Technorati tags:

No comments: