Monday, July 25, 2005

Illinois judge: "Folks, you all know I have a rule; I don't seat all white jurors"

Evelyn Clay is an African American Cook County circuit court judge. And she has a personal rule when seating juries: They can't be all-white.

From the Chicago Tribune, free registration may be required:

A judge's comments in recent months that she would refuse to seat an all-white jury have raised eyebrows at Cook County Criminal Court and questions about whether the judge acted inappropriately.

"Folks, you all know I have a rule; I don't seat all white jurors," Circuit Judge Evelyn Clay said as a jury was being picked to hear a murder trial last month, according to court transcripts.

Chief Criminal Court Judge Paul Biebel Jr. said last week that he had recently been made aware of the remarks Clay made.

Clay admitted they were "indelicately stated" and said she regretted being blunt. But it is her view that qualified African-Americans were being left off juries without good reason, she said.

"I try to preside over jury trials in a fair and impartial way--that is always my goal," Clay said.

"I carry out all my duties and responsibilities with that goal."Clay, who is African-American, made the remarks in chambers before three separate trials, according to transcripts reviewed by the Tribune.

The first time was the April 20 trial of a man for unlawful use of a weapon. After eight jurors were picked, Clay indicated she was not satisfied with the makeup of the panel.

"I'm telling you folks, I don't know what you all intend to do, but I have no intention of seating an all-white jury," Clay said, according to transcripts.

No comments: