Monday, March 28, 2005

Klocek Update: Missing Link on Dean Dumbleton

Well, a lot of information on the Klocek case came my way late Friday. As you may have guessed, in addition to being a father and husband, I have a full-time job. And Sunday was Easter. Anyway, in my very long post from yesterday, I had this quote from Dean Susanne Dumbleton, of the School of New Learning (SNL) at DePaul from the DePaulia, which was published--I believe--in early October 2004


"Administrators discussed the situation with Klocek and determined that it was an isolated incident and not typical behavior for the professor, (School of New Learning Dean Suzanne) Dumbleton said. She further explained that Klocek has had an otherwise positive career of 15 years, and explained that he is a very well read, intelligent instructor who made an error in judgment. There had been no previous student complaints regarding Klocek's conduct and he had a positive relationship with the university."


Here some more from that same DePaulia article:

"In my meeting with the students on Sept. 23, I apologized to them for the insult and disrespect they had endured, acknowledged the seriousness of the offense, and informed them that this teacher had been removed from class. I repeat that apology now. I sincerely regret the assault on their dignity, their beliefs, their individual selves, and I continue to be saddened by the fact that they have experienced such pain at the hands of a person who taught at my school, which has defined commitment to social justice as one of its core values. Indeed, our mission says: “SNL deliberately works to shape a more just, livable world; to ensure that those who have historically been ignored, excluded, marginalized, oppressed and economically disenfranchised benefit from the many learning opportunities available through SNL and beyond. "

Okay, folks, at least to me, it looks like it's about Dr. Klocek's freedom of speech.

And here is the DePaulia link: "Special to The DePaulia: SNL seeks to resolve situation"

No comments: